Wednesday, 03.04.2024


Unfortunately, all three defenders in a back three are called centre-backs nowadays. Following the development of modern football, the full-backs started as central defenders behind the half-backs, but then moved to the outside positions, while centre-backs were introduced. A W-M formation even had three so-called full-backs forming a back line. To find an appropriate term for the two outer defenders in a contemporary back three, we could use the word full-back, referring to the origins of the full-back position, while using the term cornerback to describe the outer players in a back four, if they are defensively-minded.